6.20.2011

Cooper Chicken

The real name of this dish is Smoked Gouda Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in Bacon. I call it Cooper Chicken. I've found that in the AF lifestyle, you make friends quickly. You just have to. You are only with these incredible people for a short amount of time, so the bond is strong and almost instantaneous. One such bond I formed is will Molly Cooper. I will admit, our bond could be considered 'forced', as Chris' best friend from the get-go was her husband Austin, but I now consider her a sister. For the last year we have gone on countless double dates (Molly and I on one date, the guys on the other). Austin has even opened the door for Chris once on our way to dinner! As with all military couples, their time to leave Columbus came, and their newest adventure to Florida was about to begin. They spent their last night on base, much to our honor, at our house. I knew I needed to pull out all the stops for their 'last meal', and make sure it was as memorable as our friendship. Ok, so a piece of chicken can't be as memorable as lifelong friends, but it was a step up from burgers on the grill and it tasted pretty good!

Smoked Gouda Chicken Wrapped in Bacon (freecookingrecipes.net)
Ingredients:

* 4 boneless chicken breasts
* 3 tablespoons butter
* Salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/2 cup smoked gouda (Shame on me, I used swiss cheese. My defense: commissary didn't have it, and I refuse to drive 15 minutes into town for cheese)
* 4 slices bacon
* Fresh spinach (not in the original recipe, but I love me some spinach)

To Do:

* Flatten each chicken breast to 1/4th in thick using meat mallet.
* Combine pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne.
* Rub both sides of each chicken breast with the seasoning. (do not skimp on this seasoning- it makes the dish) Sprinkle with salt
* Place small square of cheese and a few leaves of spinach (take stems off) on the narrow end of the chicken breast, and roll tightly. Wrap strip of bacon around chicken. * Melt butter in skillet
* Brown the chicken in the skillet, turning it, until bacon begins to crisp.
* Place chicken breasts on a foiled baking sheet, bake in oven 350F for 20 minutes.

1 comments:

Molly said...

You are incredibly sweet, Kelsey :) How awesome is that the one guy my husband clicked with the best before I arrived in Columbus happened to have an incredible wife that was destined to become one of my dearest friends? The Air Force can be pretty cool… sometimes ;)

I am honored this is called Cooper Chicken, and it was indeed VERY tasty! All who are reading this, please try it and know that I ate the whooooole thing. So tasty!

Post a Comment