7.12.2011

Boston Cream Cupcakes

There were a lot of things I experienced for the first time when we moved down south to Mississippi. One thing I wish I could experience more, is Dunkin Donuts. In Montana, I never lived in a town with a Dunkin Donuts. They have thick delicious chai, and the best Boston Cream donut in the world. Talk about a perfect breakfast. I hate the fact that it takes me 15 minutes to get there, so I don't go there as often as I want.

After today, an emergency trip was almost needed. Alex fussed all day, refused to nap, and hated my general being today. He wanted nothing more than to stand and scream at me, sit at scream at me, screamed at me in my arms, and even managed to scream at me with mouthfuls of oatmeal and peaches..For that, he earned himself a couldn't-come-too-soon- 7 o'clock bedtime, and mama earned herself a tasty treat.

Better than a Donut
I did a quick search online to figure out what I wanted to make myself, since running to the store today (or Dunkin Donuts for that matter) was obviously out of the question with a screaming baby hyena in my midst. I was suprised to discover I had all the ingredients to make these ooey-gooey delights in my pantry and fridge. Chances are, you will too. This means there is no excuse. Although, if you live in my area, please come get some from my house- I cannot have 11 more of these in my presence... my sanity and wasteline are begging you!!!!! Please, come get one...

I have broken this cupcake down into three parts (three different recipes).

Vanilla Cupcake ( you can use a boxed mix if you want, but I went from scratch )

Ingredients:
* 2/3 cups butter, softened
* 3/4 cups sugar
* 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
* 3 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To Do:
* Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, until light and fluffy
* Mix in eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla, then add the flour. (Add in small amounts- I managed to make it snow in my kitchen in the middle of July... one POOF was all it took to cover myself, my son, and my entire kitchen in a soft blanket of flour!)
* Place in cupcake pan (either with liners or grease and flour) and bake until tops spring back slightly- about 18 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool.

Vanilla Pudding Filling

Ingredients:
* 1 package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding
* 2 cups cold milk
* 1 tablespoon vanilla

To Do:
* Follow directions on pudding box.  (Mix milk with vanilla pudding powder). Add in extra vanilla extract if you want more of a vanilla punch!
* Let sit in fridge for 5-10 minutes, or until thick.
* To fill cooled cupcake: Stir pudding, and add it to a plastic bag. Cut hole into cupcakes and pipe the filling into the cupcake.

Creamy Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients:
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
* 1/3 cup half and half (you can use whipping cream too if you'd like)
* 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder

To Do:
* Cream the butter in mixing bowl until its smooth
* Add the cocoa powder, powdered sugar to the butter, alternating with the half and half and vanilla
* If you want a darker chocolate, add more cocoa powder- but keep in mind you may need to add a little more half and half in order to keep it a creamy consistency!
* To Forst Cupcake: After they are filled with vanilla pudding mixture, frost with chocolate frosting. Place frosting in a plastic bag, and snip the end of the bag for fancier piping!

Enjoy these perfect-donut-substitutes! But beware, the sugar crash is inevitable- and its rough!

0 comments:

Post a Comment