6.05.2012

Baby Back Ribs- Slow Cooker Style

For almost three years in college I waited tables at Famous Daves BBQ. It was the closest thing to southern bbq we had in Montana, and it was a poor excuse for it at that. I'm not saying I didn't stuff myself full of bbq chicken, ribs, and cornbread muffins everynight, because I totally did. Until I moved to Mississippi a few years ago, I had no idea what good bbq was supposed to taste like.

I remember we had been driving to Mississippi- 3 days after leaving the only home I'd ever known, having driven almost 2,000 miles in a car alone, scared beyond all belief as to what my life would have in store for me. We stopped in Memphis to meet a friend and walked through the Memphis ghetto searching and searching for Neely's BBQ. It appeared out of nowhere like a beacon of light and I swore angels sang a heavenly song as we received our meals. It was by far the best bbq I've ever had. I knew right then and there that I would love the south, and probably gain 30 lbs (which later I did, it was just in the form of a baby, not just food).

I haven't found excellent BBQ here in Florida...yet. I decided it was beyond time for us to indulge is something that was such a staple for us just a year earlier. I broke down, bought a rack of ribs, and since I'm terrified of our outdoor grill, I found a great recipe for the slow cooker.

Chris loved them. I loved them. Even Alex ate them up. It literally took me back to the meal we had at Neely's so many years ago. Now, they aren't as good at Neely's, but they are the closest thing I've found to them! The best part, honestly, was putting the left overs on a bun the next day and having a delicious bbq sandwich.


I'll just post the link to the ribs. Its from the same southern style cooking website that the no-bean chili is from (which is going to be my go-to site from now on).

My only alteration was for the rub. I added half of a package of Grill Mates Slow & Low Memphis Pit BBQ Rub to the rub in the recipe for some smokey flavor. I used Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ sauce as my sauce as well.

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2012/04/slow-cooker-baby-back-ribs.html

Enjoy, ya'll

0 comments:

Post a Comment