Last night, we had a 'surprise' party to go to for our friend Brandon. I offered to make the food. It had been forever since I had spent all day in the kitchen cooking and baking- and I realized yesterday how much I really missed it. I threw on my apron, put on the tunes, and cooked and baked and baked and cooked. I made enough food to feed an army, or in our case, an airforce squadron. :)
I found a recipe for these online at PlainChicken.Com, an amazing food site. They seemed so simple, with only a few ingredients, and looked amazing. The base is basic, and you can add whatever pizza toppings you want before you bake them. The best part? I finally had a good excuse to buy myself a mini muffin pan (and yes, I've gone this long without ever owning one and its tragic).
I will be making these for every party we are invited to for the rest of our lives. The recipe makes 24- I doubled it- and they were completely gone in about 5 minutes at the party. Not only were they gone, but about 10 people asked me for the recipe, and those who didn't show up in time to try them got an ear-full about how they suck at life and missed the pizza bites! I'll call that a successful dish :)
(Recipe makes 24 mini puffs)
Ingredients for base dough:
* 3/4 cup flour
* 3/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp garlic powder
* 1 egg, beaten
* 3/4 cup whole milk
* cheese and favorite pizza toppings- anything your heart desires
note: I can also see these being perfect for things other than pizza toppings- I see cheddar, broccoli, and ham ones in our near future! Seriously- you could put anything in these and I may even throw a little sugar in the dough and do some sweet puffs the next time I'm making them!
Pizza Toppings I used:
* 4 oz shredded mozzerella cheese
* 1/2 cup mini pepperonis
* 1/2 lb cooked sausage, drained of grease
* serve with side of warm pizza sauce as dip!
* Heat oven to 350.
* Mix flour, baking powder, and garlic powder together in a bowl. Whisk in egg and milk.
* Gently stir in pizza toppings of your choice. Let stand for 10 minutes
* Spray mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. Divide batter between the cups- fill them up to the top- they won't puff up too bad and spill over.
* Bake for 20-25 minutes.
* Serve with warm pizza sauce