10.01.2011

Tasty Fruit Pizza

The first time I ever had an extremely delicious fruit pizza was about a year ago. It was Girl's Night with a few of my favorite CAFB ladies: Jaren, Clara, and Mindy Loo. Jaren made a fruit pizza, and we ate it after we ate various other homemade pizzas she made. Afterwards, they took me to see my first fireflies. We told ghost stories, talked about how screwed we would be if we broke down in the middle of the night in the middle of the woods on base, and it was one of the most fun nights I had with those ladies! Also, being as I was pregnant and the others weren't, I got the pleasure of watching them take shots of liquor out of breast-milk measuring tubes. God, I miss nights like that. :)

Last night was another fruit pizza night, although noone was drinking shots out of baby bottles, but the guys were drinking cherry whiskey and talking guns (zzzzz). Our saving grace? This dessert. I made it in an attempt to be 'healthier' but lets be real, there really isn't anything healthy about dough, cream cheese, butter, and sugary fruit. Ok, wait. Fruit is supposed to be healthy right? :)


.: Yum :.
A huge shout-out goes to Sandra Lee for this recipe. I adore her and her semi-homemade recipes. I am also a huge fan of 80% store bought, 20% homemade, especially when I'm in a time crunch!


Ingredients:

* Store bought refrigerated pizza dough (I found a Pillsbury one for thin crust and it was perfect)
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 tablespoons hot water
* 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
* 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
* 2-3 cups powdered sugar
* Fresh or frozen fruit of your choice

To Do:

* Unroll pizza dough onto greased cookie sheet. Mix honey and hot water together in a bowl, and brush over top of the dough to add sweetness. Cook dough in oven according to package directions. My thin crust baked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Let dough cool completely.
* In a bowl, combined cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar. I started with a cup of powdered sugar and worked my way up. I only used about 2 cups total - I didn't want it to be overly sweet. Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled dough. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
* I thawed frozen fruit (berry mixture, peaches, strawberries), and used canned mandarin oranges. You can slice your the fruit of your choice- kiwis are also very good on a fruit pizza. I let my guests top their own, so I put the fruits in various bowls, but you can load the pizza up with whatever you want.
* We sliced ours with a pizza cutter on a cutting board and then everyone topped theirs with what they wanted. It was a crisp, cool dessert with a ton of fruit flavor and just enough sweetness to call it a treat!

1 comments:

Jaren Rabe said...

I just LOL'd!!!!! That was a fun night. :) Also, this looks so good!

Post a Comment